December 20, 2009

Review: Rodarte for Target

After having spent the past couple months drooling over various images from the Rodarte for Target limited edition line, it finally has launched at Target stores today. The full line is also available online here for your viewing pleasure.

I got up early and hit my local Tar-jay to avoid the crowds. Unlike the rather limited Anna Sui and Alexander McQueen lines, this one is actually available in surburbia. Hooray!

On to the reviews!

The Good:

Believe it or not, I found that the Mesh Lace with Bow Top was actually one of the most versatile pieces in the entire collection. You could easily use this to dress up a camisole or long sleeve tee in your closet. I thought the navy version was more high fashion looking than the orchid purple. I much appreciated the Rodarte sisters decided to add darting to this top to make it more flattering to the female figure.

This top could go "Gothic Lolita" at any moment, despite the rather cheery looking photo on Target's website.

Verdict: Buy




The second surprise was that of all the dresses on the rack, I found the most well constructed and expensive looking was one that hasn't been given as much press. The Lace Halter Floral Dress in Pink (not Black) ended up being my favorite.

Up close, the printed cotton blend lacework was truly very pretty and unique, prompting many Oos and Ahhs from the salesgirls. I will note compared to the photo, the dress has more volume. So, if you love the poufy miniskirt looks that Jenny Humphrey wears on Gossip girl, you will love this dress.

Thank you Rodarte for create an adjustable halter collar (smart!). I would suggest gals size up though as this dress has been cut very close to the body. I ended up buying one size larger than normal.

Verdict: Buy






The Okay:
Despite the much publicized Crepe Slip Dress (even seen on the ever-so-fashionable Tavi), I didn't find this dress to be as flattering. First, the bustline was cut in a saggy baggy way (hardly pretty). I think petite girls will particularly struggle with it. Second, the material was very sheer. Ultimately the entire dress is cut out of nylon and if not for the 2 shoulder bows, you look like you're wearing your nightie out in broad daylight.


Verdict: Skip it or at least wait for it to go on sale...



As for the Tulle Crepe Lace Skirt, I would say it was ho hum.. nothing that was so special you wouldn't find something similar at say, Forever 21. Again the material was a bit thin. This skirt is cut pretty small, so you may want to size up if you have a less than perfect waistline or just want to eat that holiday ham...

Verdict: Skip it.



The Bad:
I felt truly disappointed by the Trompe-L'oeil dress looked so cheap on the rack, I didn't even want to bother trying it on. Not to mention it was rendered in polyester (EEEEK!)...

Verdict: Have a moment of silence and move on


 



In the End:
Overall, I think the Rodarte sisters made a pretty good showing given the pricing constraints of Target. Personally, I would've liked to have seen more cottons and silks used, even with higher prices, as I think they would've made the pieces that much more special to own. I am glad that the line has been made widely available, as for me, the point of such designer collaborations is to truly make high fashion and unique design accessible to the masses.

4 comments:

stardustandberries said...

I really love this post! I was looking at their clothes online(I'm back in Canada for college break) and couldn't decided whether or not to buy. Your comments really helped me when I couldn't feel/see the fabric in real life. Would you mind if I linked you under my fav blog section?

Happy Holidays
Anna from http://rosystardustdreams.blogspot.com/

Serena from Style on a String said...

Just looking at the collection online, the ONLY items I'd consider is that mesh cardigan top, or that Trompe L'Oeil dress

But after your review, I guess with the price range they had to work with, it just couldn't meet up to their design expectations.

What a shame :(

Style on a String :: Because style has nothing to do with money.

d said...

the halter dress is my fave too, so cute!
http://house-in-tillford.blogspot.com/

Fabulous Finds Gal said...

Great post, seriously. But, the quality looks to be missing? I must see in person. Thanks so much for sharing.

Christina
Fabulous Finds Gal

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...